Moon Krapugthong, Dish It Up competitor, on NBC’s 10! Show
Moon Krapugthong, founder of Mango Moon and Chabaa Thai, appeared on the 10! Show to showcase her purple dish for this year's Dish It Up competition!
Mango Moon Steak with Purple Yucca and Thai Chili Sauce
Recipe Courtesy of Moon Krapugthong
.49 lb Rib-eye Steak
2 Tbsp Fish Sauce
1 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
1 Tbsp Mushroom Soy Sauce
1 Tsp Sugar
1/2 Tsp Ground peppercorn (pan roasted is optional for stronger aroma)
1/2 Ground cilantro roots
2 1/2 Vegetable or Olive oil
1-2 Tbsp Ground Fresh Chili
1 Tsp Chopped fresh Garlic
A pinch Salt
2 1/2 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Fish sauce
4 Tbsp Rice vinegar
1/2 oz Fine Chopped Cilantro
Garnish with 2oz diced colorful bell peppers and a sprig of cilantro
1 lbs Clean, peeled yucca (cut about 2X2’ for easy cooking)
1/4 Tsp Salt
4 oz Black berry
4 oz Blue berry
4 Tbsp Sugar
A pinch Ground pepper
1. Marinade-Place marinade ingredients in large mixing bowl. Make sure ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
2. Bangkok Steak - Place a ½ inch thick slice of beef in marinade, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour minimum. If possible place marinated beef in refrigerator overnight to achieve more intense flavor and to aid in tenderization.
3. Place small amount of oil in a pan and place heat on high.
4. Sear the meat to your preferred temperature.
5. Thai Chili Sauce --bring vinegar to boil, add sugar, salt, fish sauce, garlic. Lower the heat to allow sauce to thicken. This should take about 3-5 minutes.
6. Take pot off of the stove and add cilantro. Leave sauce to cool down.
7. Place yucca in boiling water, allowing it to cook thoroughly. This should take 10-15 minutes.
8. Drain water and mash the yucca in a sturdy bowl. Than season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Puree berries with a cup of water and place them on the stove to boil for 2 minutes, add sugar and 1 ½ cup of water.
10. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool down.
11. After you have strained the berry mixture, gradually mix with the yucca mash. Approximately 3oz at a time.
12. Garnish the Steak with bell peppers and cilantro leaves. Serve with yucca mash and sweet chili sauce on the side.