Women Against Abuse participates in policy and systems advocacy efforts that support survivors of domestic violence and the programs that serve them in order to accomplish our mission to lead the struggle to end domestic violence!
The advocacy efforts of Women Against Abuse focus on the following five categories:
- Ensuring Adequate Funding for Domestic Violence Services
- Empowering Survivors to Gain Independence
- Creating Safety for Victims of Domestic Violence
- Providing Safe and Affordable Housing for Survivors of Domestic Violence
- Creating a Coordinated Community Response to Domestic Violence
To contact your elected official about issues related to domestic violence, visit our Take Action Center.
For more information on Women Against Abuse’s advocacy and public policy efforts, contact Director of Public Policy, Elise Scioscia.
1. Ensuring Adequate Funding for Domestic Violence Services
- Increase federal, state, and local funding that supports domestic violence programs.
- Promote legislative funding proposals that support domestic violence programs.
- Support funding initiatives that benefit survivors of domestic violence.
2. Empowering Survivors to Gain Independence
- Promote economic justice and independence for survivors of domestic violence.
- Improve safe access to healthcare and screening for intimate partner violence.
3. Creating Safety for Victims of Domestic Violence
- Promote freedom from exploitation by removing barriers that disempower survivors of domestic violence.
- Improve the legal response to domestic violence to ensure safety for survivors and their children.
- Hold domestic violence offenders accountable.
4. Providing Safe and Affordable Housing for Survivors of Domestic Violence
- Provide access to safe emergency and transitional housing for individuals and families experiencing domestic violence.
- Ensure safety for survivors living in the community through landlord/ tenant protections.
- Create affordable housing opportunities to provide a backdoor out of homelessness.
5. Creating a Coordinated Community Response to Domestic Violence
- Implement comprehensive, community-wide screening and intervention for domestic violence.
- Create an authority for responding to domestic violence at the state and local level.
- Require mandatory training on domestic violence and teen dating violence.